21/03/2010

Calligraphy

We tried Japanese calligraphy. It was great fun. Someone in our class, who is Chinese, taught us how to do it.
We had to hold the brush in a very strange way, but all the same we were thoroughly enjoying it. Fai, who is Chinese, taught us how to hold the brush, and use it. He was also showing us some of the writing he knew (a lot!) We tried doing calligraphy in a group at a time and I loved it (so did everyone else, of course.) Most of us were writing our names in Japanese, which we translated on the internet, and Japan in Japanese.
Calligraphy brushes have nice thick bristles, which come to a thin point at the end. You hold it with your thumb on one side, your middle three fingers on the other side (in level with below your thumb) and then your pinkie on the same side as your thumb (in level with below your middle three fingers. The class really enjoyed it!!!

8 comments:

Adam K Stanley said...

Calligraphy is really, really, really, really amazing I hope I get to do it sometime again!

lucy said...

the calligraphy was ace i was taught to write my name in jappanesse!

Anonymous said...

I loved doing the caligraphy and it was very fun. I learned how to wrire my name in japanese.Fai is very good at teaching Calligraphy.
I hope we do it sometime again.
Mr.M and Mrs. Mclean were very good with it aswell.

Adam K Stanley said...

the writer of this must be so, so, so, so, so, so brilliant!
WARNING: it is a joke!

Joannna said...

I loved calligraphy because my mum got a calligraphy set for her birthday so I can practise at home as well!

Mr M said...

Great, Joanna! It's so different writing with a brush. More like producing a painting,

Mrs Russell said...

Well done to Fai for teaching everyone how to do such fantastic calligraphy work. I have only ever tried it with a fountain pen and ink - I would love to give it a go with a brush!

Anonymous said...

Hello P6
We have really enjoyed Godzilla,s Den what a talented group of children we do hope you win, we are rooting for.Mr M gave his Mum a calligraphy set for Christmas.
Jamie,s Granny and Grandad